Saturday, February 16, 2008

Art Space Talk: Savako

The artist known as Savako creates unique and profoundly original works that are the result of an interstellar communion with a distant Utopian planet and it's occupants that she has imagined. Her creations challenge the viewer to engage themselves on a level that is spirited and childlike. In a sense, Savako's art reminds the viewer that the best things in life come from the imagination-- not material gain.


Cojomojo Forest, installation- Lunarbase, Brooklyn. 2004

Brian Sherwin: Savako, you create what has been described as bold, free standing sculptures which profess a retro, mid-twentieth century futuristic view. Your subjects are aliens that live in an imagined Utopia on a planet that you have named Pajamaja. Can you tell us more about this world that you have created?

Savako: Planet Pajamaja is simpler than human being society, and the Planet Pajamaja is full of feelings of happiness. They have a civilization that is on a better level than human beings. But they do not depend on intelligence and material gain. They build their paradise while having a heart like a child.

BS: Savako, your sculptures are known for being humorous. Viewers often smile upon viewing your works. Is there a serious side to these works or do you simply strive to make people smile?

S: I regard senses when viewing art as very important. My work may become humorous even if I go about it in a serious manner. It can display both humor and seriousness depending on the interaction with the viewer. I allow viewers to wonder. Maybe, When I create it, I feel that I am happy and that is why some people view my work as humorous. Due to this perhaps my feeling will reach people.

Alien in the City by Savako

BS: You have exhibited your work in NY several times. How have your travels influenced the work that you do?

S: I enjoy exhibiting outside of Japan because I like the thought of people viewing the world I've created. My work is for the here and now rather than for future generations. The interactions that viewers have with my work are an important drive for my creations.

BS: Is there a difference in the way that people react to your work in the States compared to the reactions you get in Japan?

S: The reaction of a person sympathizing with my view of the world in both Japan and U.S.A. is very direct. American viewers are wonderful even if the emotional display is rich. The Japanese tends to enjoy a character. One of my collectors in Japan carries my "Portico Popilyn" and continues taking souvenir picture at various places. For example, a certain person made a song of Portico Popilyn. And, a certain person made juice which resembled Planet Pajamaja. Children who are acquainted with my work make pictures of Portico Popilyn in their notebooks at school almost every day. It is very interesting.

BS: Savako, where did you study art? Have you had any influential instructors or mentors? Tell us about the academic side of your work...

S: I learned most of the techniques of sculpting by self-education. I did not like school. The work I seen coming from schools did not appeal to me. So in a sense I am self-taught.

BS: Can you tell us about some of your other influences?

S: 4D-world, Black hole, Moon, Ancient civilization, Fairyland, etc...

Alien in the City 2 by Savako

BS: Tell us about your process... how are these creatures created, so to speak?

S: I regard unconsciousness as very important; you do not need to use your brain in order to be good. I feel that the neutral state that is not controlled by feelings and reason creates the best image. I choose some shapes from a lot of sketches and use those shapes when I create my sculptures.

BS: Will you be involved with any exhibits in 2008?

S: I have two solo exhibitions in February and April in Japan. I will be displaying an installation and will reveal my new expressions. I hope that I can exhibit it in the U.S.A. and Europe.

BS: Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your work?

S: At this time I'm making a production of a big UFO titled Came from the Planet Pajamaja. It can disintegrate, and the transfer is going to be enabled, too. I look forward to it and hope that everyone enjoys it.

You can learn more about Savako and her art by visiting her website-- www.dugazig.com. You can read more of my interviews by visiting the following page-- www.myartspace.com/interviews.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

No comments: