Thursday, November 16, 2006

Art Space Talk: Maureen Girard Mason


I recently interviewed artist Maureen Girard Mason. Maureen is an artist who is interested in telling a story with her art. Her paintings capture the magic of youthful imagination. The paintings reflect the dreams of children. Thus, they convey a sense of innocence and curiosity.

Maureen's paintings have a sense of mysticism about them as well. Her images, which are often embellished with real gold, have a unique quality in this respect. This quality strengthens her ability to express her vision of the 'dream world'.

Maureen's "Sun Dancer" image was featured on the cover of the June-July 2006 issue of the New York Spirit magazine.


Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A. "It has always been a part of my life but sometimes life takes over. You know, the domestic thing, husband, house & kids. I would say that i really picked it up again in 1999."

Q. How has creating art shaped you professionally and personally?

A. "It's allowed me the freedom to explore my curiosities about life without limitation. Whether it be something I've seen or something that I need to express."

Q. How has society influenced your art? Are their any social implications in your art?

A. "It's had a huge impact as far as my evolution goes. My new work is part of my rebellion phase. Someone always has the opinion that I should either stick to watercolor landscapes or pastel portraits. I keep evolving so now I paint from my heart."

Q. What are your artistic influences? Has anyone inspired you?

A. "I love story telling, exploration and the possibility that there's always more than meets the eye. Waterhouse was a huge influence as well as Susan Boulet."

Q. Tell me a little about your background. Are your past experiences reflected in the work you do today? If so, how?

A. "I don't spend too much time dwelling on the past so most of my work is based where I am now or where I'd like to be."

Q. If you could pinpoint the characteristics of people who collect your art, what would they be?

A. "I would say that they are open to new ideas and that they believe that anything is possible."

Q. Do you have an upcoming exhibit? If so, where and when?

A. "I have several coming up but the dates aren't set yet. I'll have to give you an update."

Q. Where do you see your art in 10 years? What are your plans?

A. "Well, I'm not sure. I'd like to get my work out to a larger number of people. I've thought about the print market but don't know much about it."

Q. Discuss one of your pieces. What were you thinking when you created it?

A. "The Face of Courage was created for my boyfriend who was going through a really tough time. The lion has often been used as a symbol of courage so weaved his profile in it. Actually it all came together quite well."

Q. What is your artistic process?

A. "Some of my images are designed to go with poetry that I've written but usually I'll use a suggestion or a symbol as a reference point and sketch it out. I always think of my painting in layers - what base colors do I want to reveal in the final image. Then I move on to the main subject and background. Scratching and splattering are done at different times and I let the painting evolve on its own."

Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A. "It's been an experimental process. I prefer to sketch people instead of painting them. Oil pastels allow me to do both. Watercolor is a wonderful medium that I can throw and see what images start to appear. My paintings are a melting pot. If I've got it more than likely I'll use it."

Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art?

A. "I'm not signed up for anything at the moment but I'm not ruling it out. I do get together with other artist friends & have our own critique sessions though."

Q. Where can we see more of your art?

A. "I update my website with fairs, festivals and gallery information."

Q. Are you represented by a gallery? If not, do you want to be?

A. "I show my work at the River Gallery in Higganum Connecticut but I'd love to have my work in galleries abroad."

Q. How many pieces have you sold in your career?

A. "My records show 31 in the last couple of years."

Q. Why do you create art?

A. "If I'm painting a landscape it's for the sheer fun of throwing paint. If it's a figurative piece it is created by a need for creative expression."

Q. Where can we find you on myartspace.com?

A. "Saltwater Moon Studio Gallery"

I hope you have enjoyed my interview with Maureen Girard Mason. Be sure to comment about her work.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it, I like the feeling I get from it. Maybe because it is similar to the way I express through my work. I get an understanding from her work, her art expression is very feminine. I enjoyed it thank-you for sharing.