Friday, March 27, 2009

Art Space Talk: Olga Gouskova

Often walking hand-in-hand with controversy is the sensual female form, Russian born, Belgium based - artist Olga Gouskova certainly knows how to capture an audience with her paintings of beautiful and stylish women. Gouskova's women are sexy, melancholic and mysterious, with a powerful physical intensity and a subtleness of form which almost makes you want to caress them. Her female figures do in fact caress themselves, almost as if to emphasize the preciousness of the female body - the eternal source of life and love. The sinuous lines in Gouskova's paintings convey vibrations, memories, ambivalent feelings and deep emotion by means of the positions and expressions of the figures.
Her contemporary approach to pose, dynamic composition and colour produces paintings that are modern, proud, vibrant and uniquely individual. When painting, Gouskova uses two different techniques. First she draws the body with sepia pencil to make it look almost real - warm and soft, giving it a feeling of physical intensity and a subtleness of form, outline and volume. For the rest of each painting she uses acrylic and all kinds of pens to draw lines and small decorative details. She doesn't paint the volume, using instead flat washes of colour. The lines and patterns make the composition dynamic and complete.
SCARLET FLOWER • 60 x 60 cm • acrilyc on canvas, sepia, pen. By Olga Gouskova

Brian Sherwin: Olga, what can you tell us about your academic background concerning art? Did you study art formally? Tell us about your art studies in general- any influential instructors?

Olga Gouskova: I was born in Russia and grew up in Belarus. At the age of 11 I went to Byelorussian Art College in Minsk. After 7 years of studying I've obtained an academic classical art education. Many hours of painting and drawing. From landscape in water-colour to model in oil on canvas. After college I went to Byelorussian Academy of Arts in Minsk. But I've chosen the Design department, because I wanted to learn new things and do something different. And for the next 4 years I was busy with all kind of textile design for interior and cloth.

During these years I had a lot of good teachers like Ugrinovich Vikentiy and Nazarenko Oleg, and I've met very interesting and talented people. I'm very grateful for this wonderful experience and the possibilities to learn and do so many different things.
BS: Tell us about yourself. At what point did you gain an interest in creating visual art?

OG: I’ve painted and drawn for as long as I remember myself. I just love painting. I enjoy the process and mostly the results too. It fascinates me how the white piece of paper or canvas can become the visual expression of emotions and feelings, somebody's stories or dreams... and after all of that the painting can have its own life and existence. All paintings are part of me and at the same time when they are ready they are not me anymore... I love to watch how people experience art... how it makes them feel and think, how it brings new emotions in their live...
PAPILLON • 60 x 80 cm • acrilyc on canvas, sepia, pen • sold. By Olga Gouskova

BS: Olga, can you tell us more about your art? Give us some insight into the thoughts behind your art.

OG: My paintings are about feelings and states of mood, about dreams and expectations. And I express it through the female portrait. Sometimes it feels like I paint a kind of self-portrait from the inside out - the way I feel... the way I am or the way I want to be or will never be... My thoughts about being happy or sad, sensual or extravagant... The mood of the day, of the season, of the moment... of life-- all through the portraits of women. In every painting I try to capture part of the mystery of the female personality by combining the beauty of the physical with the intensity of the mental.

I emphasise the soft femininity of my figures by using flowers, butterflies, and lace details within the compositions, but counter that delicateness through the use of heavy contrasts and strong bold lines. The hair is almost always long and exudes some soft sexuality and is exquisitely detailed. I want my women to look comfortable, soft, serene, and special in their nudity and exposure.

Actually I don't really like to talk much about my paintings, it's like Gustav Klimt had said "I have the gift of neither the spoken nor the written word, especially if I have to say something about myself or my work. Whoever wants to know something about me -as an artist, the only notable thing- ought to look carefully at my pictures and try and see in them what I am and what I want to do"

BS: Can you discuss your process in general? Are there any specific techniques that you utilize?

OG: When painting, I use two different techniques. First I draw the body with sepia pencil to make it look almost real - warm and soft, giving it a feeling of physical intensity and a subtleness of form, outline and volume. For the rest of each painting I use acrylic and all kinds of pens to draw lines and small decorative details. I do not paint the volume, using instead flat washes of colour. The lines and patterns make the composition dynamic and complete. Some times I use a model, some times I get my references from photos.

BS: Olga, what about other influences? For example, are you influenced by any specific artists?

OG: Often people see the Art Nouveau style in my paintings and speak about the influence of Gustav Klimt and Alfons Mucha. I like these artists very much, but there is no influence in terms of medium, techniques, or ideas.

MARGO • 50 x 70 cm • acrilyc on canvas, sepia, pen. By Olga Gouskova

BS: So what is the specific message you strive to convey to viewers? Do you adhere to a specific philosophy as far as your work is concerned?

OG: There is no particular message. I just try to bring some beauty and emotions to viewers, some special feelings and joy - be who you are, look for things that make you special and happy, see the beauty in people and simple things around you, love them... and enjoy it as much as you can.

BS: What are you working on at this time?

OG: I'm busy with series of small paintings on painted canvas. It's a little bit different technique than I'm used to-- something new for me... and for viewers too. I have a few commissioned portraits for private collectors as well that I’m working on.

BS: Olga, what are your thoughts concerning the internet and utilizing the World Wide Web in order to gain exposure for your art? In your opinion, why is it important for artists to embrace the internet?

OG: The best thing about the web, in my opinion, is the access it provides for sharing information. You can find anything on the internet. You can view artists from all over the world and meet buyers from all over the world. In fact, it doesn't matter were you live anymore. With the internet you can be everywhere you want to be.

I use the internet a lot - to find things and people, to get some information about things and people. My website is my portfolio for everyone who is interested in my art. And... without Internet this interview would not exist-- or so many people would not be able to read it...

GERBERAS • 60 x 60 cm • acrilyc on canvas, sepia, pen. By Olga Gouskova

BS: Will you be involved with any upcoming exhibits?

OG: You can see my paintings in the gallery space BONHOMME in Liege Belgium, till 19/04, also in gallery Artipico in Schiedam, Netherlands, and on my website www.olga-gouskova.be

BS: Olga, do you have any concerns about the art world at this time?

OG: No, I don't have concerns. I think it doesn't make sense to have any concerns about the art world. My concerns will not change or help it anyway. There are so many possibilities and opportunities for artist and the art lovers-buyers, so many things are being created every day, so many new ideas, new exhibitions, new names. I just try not to be overwhelmed. So I'm busy creating new paintings and think about the people who can see, feel and like them just like I do.

BS: There has been several stories involving copyright infringement in the mainstream press as of late. What is your stance on copyright? Do you see strong copyright as a reflection of artist rights in general? Or do you feel that copyright restricts creativity? Do you have a stance on this issue?

OG: All this attention to the artist copyright is certainly a good thing for all artists. Because making money with the artwork without paying the artist his copyright can not be right anyway. And it still happens a lot. It is one thing to be inspired by somebody's work... If it is just copied it is simple and obviously wrong . That said, if the artwork gives new ideas and inspiration where does it stop the copyright of the one artwork and begin the copyright of the other?
HAVAH • 70 x 70 cm • acrilyc on canvas, sepia, pen • sold. By Olga Gouskova

BS: Olga, as you know, the economy has been hard. Have you had to change-- or should I say adapt-- your practice due to the economy?

OG: I’ve read a lot of Abraham-Hicks. It helps me to see things different. The world is the way you think about it or expect it to be. When I paint I never think about the economy or stuff like that. In fact, I try not to think about it at all. When I paint I think about some beautiful pure things, like love and joy, light and colours...

BS: Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your art?

OG: I'm happy being an artist and doing what I do. It is wonderful that there are people who love and appreciate me work. I want to thank Brian and MyArtSpace for this interview and opportunity to show my art. And I hope you can be kept up to date with my new works on my website at www.olga-gouskova.be
You can learn more about Olga Gouskova by visiting her website- www.olga-gouskova.be. Gouskova is currently a member of the www.myartspace.com community. Feel free to visit her myartspace profile . You can read more of my interviews by visiting the following page-- www.myartspace.com/interviews.
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin
Senior Editor
myartspace.com
Myartspace Blog on Twitter

No comments: