Sunday, December 24, 2006

Art Space Talk: Jacob Burmood

I recently interviewed artist Jacob Burmood. Jacob is a recent graduate of Missouri State University, with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree and emphasis in sculpture. He is presently pursuing a career as a studio artist.
Mr. Burmood is currently working in clay, in both sculpture and pottery, because of its plasticity, durability, and surface quality. He has knowledge of Raku (meaning happiness), an ancient Japanese style of firing pottery.
Raku is originally associated with the traditional tea ceremony, the process of raku firing reveals the Zen esthetic of natural and accidental beauty. No two pots are ever the same. Jacob is interested in this natural and dynamic method of creating pottery.
Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?
A. "Society has shown me how things are connected. Creating art has shown me abstract ideals in human relationships."

Q. What are your artistic influences? Has anyone inspired you?
A. "My influences include Henry Moore, Jackson Pollock, and the Art Noveau movement. I am drawn to the Futurists sense of movement and Constantine Brancusi's philosophy of it."

Q. On average, how long does it take you create one piece?

A. "One month."

Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

A. "I like listening to music that sounds like the forms I create."

Q. Discuss your art. What is your artistic process?

A. "Like anything, it changes. I go through phases of techniques. Currently, I am creating simple, organic forms, and then drawing undulent lines on them. I then carve out the areas between the lines and the lines become edges."
Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?
A. "I am currently working in clay because of its plasticity, durability, and surface quality."

Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how has it helped your art career?

A. "I have a Bachelor of Fine Art with an emphasis in sculpture from Missouri State University."
Q. How influential was the school where you studied? What can you tell us about the art department that you attended?
A. "Very infuential. The faculty, for the most part, was superb."
Q. What galleries have you exhibited in?
A. "Studio 405, Phorm, Good Girl, Springfield Art Museum, Waverly."

Q. Has your work ever been censored? If so, how did you deal with it?

A. "Yes. I had a somewhat sexual piece cut in two by a highschool art teacher. I dealt with it by going to college."
Q. What was the toughest point in your career as an artist? Have you ever hit rock-bottom?
A. "Any time the creative flow seems to stagnate it is the worst let down. Thinking of quitting is rock-bottom, continuing to create is breakthrough."

Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "It fosters the imagination."
Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?
A. "Springfield Missouri is a blossoming area for the arts."
Q. Has politics ever entered your art?
A. "I try not to let it."
I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Jacob Burmood. Feel free to critique or discuss his work.
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That stuff is beautiful!