Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Art Space Talk: Amanda Greive

I recently interviewed artist Amanda Greive. Amanda is a painter who displays amazing talent considering that she has only painted for three years. Though young, she is quickly making a name for herself in central Illinois.

Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?
A. "I had never had an interest in art until about 3 years ago. I can't explain why, but I decided to try my hand at painting and derived so much pleasure from it, I just couldn't stop."
Q. How has creating art shaped you professionally and personally?
A. "Creating art has taught me to be more patient in every aspect of my life. It has also helped to quelch anxieties and stress from other parts of my life."
Q. What are your artistic influences? Has anyone inspired you?

A. "I am influenced by the Italian renaissance painters and the Dutch Masters of the 17th century."

Q. Tell me a little about your background. Are your past experiences reflected in the work you do today? If so, how?
A. "My past experiences are definitely reflected in my paintings. Because I believe art is a window to the artist's soul, my subjects tend to be objects and ideas that I know very well or are sentimental to me in one way or another. My family is also often a subject in my art."

Q. How long have you been a working artist?
A. "Almost 2 years."

Q. On average, how long does it take you create one piece?

A. "It takes a little over a month, sometimes longer."

Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?
A. "I don't have any rituals, but I do prefer to paint in the dining room in our house and I like to have complete silence when I paint."

Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?
A. "I chose to work with oils because of their flexibility and long open time. I also feel like they have a richness that is second to none."

Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how has it helped your art career?
A. "I have a masters degree in epidemiology, but decided to go back to school for an art degree. Going back to school has helped my art career because it exposed me to so many different styles of painting and helped me to realize how important a foundation in art history is to my life as an artist."
Q. What can you tell us about the art department that you attend?
A. "I attend Lincoln Land Community College, and the art department and faculty are wonderful in that they foster the many different artistic style that students present and they really encourage the students to pursue their artistic interests."
Q. Where can we see more of your art?
A. "Some of my art is available for viewing at the "Eclectic" artist coop in Jacksonville, IL. I am also in the process of constructing a website that will present all of my work."
Q. Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?
A. "I am not currently represented by a gallery, but it looks like I will have 2 shows coming up in the Spring of 2007, one at On the Wall in Jacksonville (Illinois) in April and the other at a gallery in Springfield (Illinois)for which a date and details have not been ironed out yet."

Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "I create art because it is such a part of who I am that I couldn't imagine not creating it."

Q. Does religion, faith, or the lack thereof play a part in your art?
A. "Religion and faith do play a part in my paintings."

Q. Does your cultural background play a part in your work?
A. "Yes, my cultural background and my upbringing play a large part in my painting."
I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Amanda Greive. Feel free to critique or discuss her work.

Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your work. Cant wait to see more.
Carmen

Anonymous said...

Amanda, your paintings are a joy and a wonder to view. Thanks for sharing your God given talent with us.
Aunt Lucy

D. Lollard said...

Hi Amanda, was visiting the 4th district & heard about your new art career. Congrats! & Your work is ... wow.

Don Smith Moorman