Friday, July 20, 2007

Art Space Talk: Jennifer Caviola


I discovered the art of Jennifer Caviola while viewing art on myartspace.com. Jennifer obtained an MFA from the Parsons School of Design in New York. Jennifer lives and works in NYC. You can learn more about Jennifer by visiting her site: www.jennifercaviola.com


Brian Sherwin: Jennifer, do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

Jennifer Caviola: I usually prefer a quiet studio setting, however, I do enjoy listening to music at times. Some of the musicians I have favored as studio music as of late are : Albert Hammond Jr., Joan Biaz, Tool, Bob Dylan's "Desire" album, Coheed and Cambria, and of course, any Guns N' Roses album. I also seem to paint extremely well to the following bands: Slaughter, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, and Bon Jovi circa 1980's (1986 to be exact). Who knows why.


BS: Jennifer, you obtained your BFA in Painting from Pratt Institute and your MFA from Parsons School of Design. Who were your mentors? Can you tell our readers about the art departments you attended?

JC: I had a few teachers at Pratt who I really learned alot from. Churchill Davenport for foundation/painting, Anne Gilman for drawing, and Thomas Bosket for Painting. These three stand out among my favorite undergrad professors from my time at Pratt. I was lucky to have studied under them. Actually, Davenport taught me how to use colors in a structure that I still use to this day in my paintings.
That was almost 10 years ago. They helped create a strong base for my practice as well. I took Professor Gilman's Drawing classes for three years straight practically, she was that instrumental in my drawing process. Bosket just rules in general.

I couldn't get enough of art school. I would still be there if it were possible.


BS: When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life? Can you recall any childhood memories of wanting to pursue painting?

JC: My Grandma Olga is a painter and started giving me watercolor lessons at age 9. I was always around paintings and art in her house and it sort of seemed like a natural ambition from then on. There wasn't much of a fight there.

BS: What about world events? Does the triumph and tragedy of society inspire you to create? Have certain events struck a cord with you, so to speak?

JC: I am not directly inspired by "world events", however I am part of the human race experiencing the world just like everyone else-artist or not. As a maker, this automatically feeds into my work, whether I try or not. The "triumph and tragedy" of society is what defines it and they simply become one in the same at some point for me.

Real tragedy for me involves romance and beauty, or more specifically, the destruction of it in any form. A broken heart and a broken country are the same thing.


BS: Are you represented by a gallery at this time? If not, are you seeking representation?

JC: I am not with a gallery at the moment.

BS: Jennifer, can you share some of your philosophy about art and artistic creation?

JC: I am not old enough or smart enough to have my own philosophy regarding art and artistic creation. All I know is I respond to and value beauty in Art.


BS: Finally, where do you see your work going in the next decade?

JC: That's a strange question to try to answer. All I hope is that I am still actually making paintings. That's the most I can hope for.
I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Jennifer Caviola. You may view on of her myartspace.com galleries below:
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

No comments: