Saturday, February 10, 2007

Art Space Talk: Val Dyshlov


I recently interviewed Val Dyshlov. Mr. Dyshlov was born and raised in Siberia. He was trained by the well-known teacher and great artist Vitaly Lenchin. Val now resides in the USA.

Many of his artworks are in Ukrainian museums, and in private collections in Western and Eastern Europe, Russia, Canada and USA. Norton Dodge, a well-known collector of Russian underground art, has collected many of Val's pieces.


Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A. "After high school graduation. I've been drawing and painting since I was 5. I also took art history classes in my junior years."



Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?

A. "Social events, and everything that's going on in society get digested and intellectually transformed into images constantly, then I transport them into fantastical or theatrical realm. An example of such allegorical content is a Puppet show, where a silent dialog is occuring in a theatrical realm.

Queen symbolizes an impartial judge, a bird is an artist; the general with a crotch, needless and comical, and a doll is an unassuming character, symbol of unnecessary urbanity. "

Q. On average, how long does it take you to create a piece?

A. "It depends on inspiration and my frame of mind. Sometimes it takes a week, and sometimes it takes several months. It may take a year when I come back to the picture and add more texture or work on color or expression."


Q. Can you share some of your philosophy about art and artistic creation?

A. "I constantly strive for cognition of the environment. And the more I achieve on my path of cognition, the more things I want to express on a highest professional level. I like professionalism in any human activity, being it space exploration or an art."

Q. Has your art ever been published?

A. "All the time. In magazines, newspapers, catalogs, and books. One of them is "New art international" published in New York, and this March a new book is scheduled for release in World of Art "100 famous artists". My bio is included into World dictionary of Artists published in Munich by K.G.Sauer. Art Business News magazine, the most recent issue, has my picture."


Q. What was your most important exhibition? Care to share that experience?

A. "In 2006, my artwork was shown in highly selective and prestigious surrealist show in MUSEUM HR GIGER in Switzerland. In 2006 also, I had my solo show in Chelsea, New York. There was many interesting people and they had very nice food and wine. "

Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

A. "I like listening to BBC radio station and having tea."


Q. If you could pinpoint the characteristics of people who collect your art, what would they be?

A. "These are very intellectual and highly educated people, lawyers, doctors, museum curators, scientists."

Q. Discuss one of your pieces.What were you thinking when you created it?

A. ""Walk"(2007). When I first saw an iguana many years ago in New York sitting on a shoulder of a big man,

I was stunned by the animal, both cute and so exotic to me, because where I was born there were snows and brown bears. I remain fascinated with iguanas since then. When I look at their eye, I get the feeling of ancient wisdom staring comely upon the world. I wanted to place this harmless and amazing creature next to a character to play with the idea of an iguana as an intelligent human companion."


Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how did it help you as an artist? What can you tell us about the art department that you attended?

A. "I attended private studio of a famous artist for 4 years. Then, I graduated from School of art with Masters degree and then taught in my school for many years. I was lucky, I was surrounded with top-notch artists during my school years."

Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A. "After graduating from school, I created graphics works: etchings, linocut, lithography, monotype. Before entering school, I painted oil and tempera a lot. So, it was oil- graphics- oil again for me."


Q.Where can we see more of your art?

A. "I will be showing in Art EXPO New York (Javitz center, March 1-5), in SOLO section. Next, in Noyes museum in New Jersey, until July. You can preview my artworks on my website, http://www.valdyshlov.com/, on Saatchi "Your gallery" website and on Society for Art of Imagination website. I also have a website on Japanese web."

Q. Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?
A. "I'm open for gallery representation. I show around USA and Europe. As above, two main shows for the next few months."

Q. What galleries have you exhibited in? Can you provide links to their sites?

A. "Interart gallery in Chelsea, http://www.interartny.com/. In New Jersey, in APEX gallery."


Q. What trends do you see in the 'art world'?

A. "I see a trend of fantastic, dreamy imagery blending with more realistic art forms in compositions."

Q. Any tips for emerging artists?

A. "Look at Old masters artworks in museums, and copy them as much as you can. That's the way to learn secrets of fine art mastership. Plus you need to study live models and nature."

Q. What was the toughest point in your career as an artist? Have you ever hit rock-bottom?

A. "Every creative person has his ups and downs."

Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "The creative process gives me excitement and joy."


Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?

A. "I live very close to New York city, which is one of the greatest art centers in the world. The art scene is under its influence."

Q. Has politics ever entered your art?

A. "If it ever was, very indirectly."


Q. Does religion, faith, or the lack thereof play a part in your art?

A. "I believe religion effects me as every person."

Q. Is there anything else you would like to say about your art or the 'art world'?

A. "I like working in series, one of them "Performance". Now, I'm working on "Daydreams", which shows iguanas. This is explained by my education in Graphics, where working in series is a usual method."
I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Val Dyshlov. Feel free to critique or discuss his art.

Take care, Stay true,

Brian Sherwin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really great paintings! I love how there is a classical flavor and a modernist style mixed together. really nice!