Thursday, February 15, 2007

Art Space Talk: Hakan Alkacir


I recently interviewed emerging artist Hakan Alkacir. Mr. Alkacir is a graduate from the Academy of Art University, San Francisco, USA. His work is in several private collections in Sweden and the United States. His work reveals the physicality of paint, clay, and metal.


Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A. "It's been mostly gradual. The more I dealt with art the more I realized it was important to me."

Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?

A. "I think that society is something you just can’t avoid and ignore. It’s inevitably part of my life and is reflected in my work somehow. I wouldn’t say there are intentional and calculated implications, but they are inherently there."
Q. On average, how long does it take you to create a piece?

A. "There is no average time for me, it’s all different form piece to piece."
Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

A. "Not really. I just feel lot’s of times it’s a struggle and I have to push myself. I believe inspiration is kind of a myth, making art is more about hard work and fierce determination."


Q. Discuss one of your pieces. What were you thinking when you created it?

A. "I wasn’t really thinking that much. I had this chunk of 2" thick steel and lots of fire power available (the forge) and just wanted to modify it to see what would happen. I ended up twisting it by hitting it with an eight-pound sledgehammer. (image above)"


Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how did it help you as an artist?

A. "Yes I have a degree from the Academy of Art University, San Francisco, USA (BFA in sculpture). It helped me both technically and creatively."

Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A. "Because they fit the kind of art I want to create."


Q. Where can we see more of your art?

A. "They are not exhibited right now, so I would have to refer to the website for now: http://www.hakan-alkacir.com/ "

Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "I have to."

Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?

A. "I wouldn’t say there is anything radical going on. (Stockholm/Sweden)"
I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Hakan Alkacir. Feel free to critique or discuss his work.
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

No comments: