Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Art Space Talk: Salvador Flores

I recently interviewed artist Salvador Flores. Mr. Flores is a Mexican architect who studied art with Leiton, one of the most influential artists in the North Mexico.

His style is inspired by geometric abstraction, Surrealism, and Minimalism. Kandinsky, Hans Arp, Paul Klee, and Latin American Surrealists have all impacted Salvador's art.

As a lover of the Surrealists, Flores images are like a journey through the intangible world. The artists' motivations come from the unknown, or rather from the imperceptible: the relation of heaven and earth; good and evil; spirit and soul.

As far as Salvador's style is concerned, the artist described his own technique as 'controlled experimentation' which involves the search for balance between colour and texture.


Q. When did you first discover that art would be an important part of your adult life?

A. "I began to paint miniature drawings when I was 7 years old. A carpenter who was my neighbor framed my works in a postcard size, and my mother sold all of them. At that moment, I realized that I wanted to do it for the rest of my life."

Q. How has society influenced your art? Are there any social implications in your art?

A. "I have found that all of us have experienced good and bad times in life, and my work is a reflection of that. "Cicatrices" was my first professional artwork, and its title means a lot. It is a Spanish word that means "scars"; however, its verb "cicatrizar" means "to heal". This simple word involves this interaction between being hurt and being healed. Although I express the pain through my art, I desire to offer a hope to the human being."


Q. On average, how long does it take you to create a piece?

A. "It depends on the medium and the theme. I have created paintings in four hours. In contrast, I have been working for six months on a piece that I have not finished yet."


Q. Do you have any 'studio rituals'? As in, do you listen to certain types of music while working? What helps to get you in the mood for working?

A. "My art is instinctive. I simply feel the moment when it is the time to do it. Then I take my brushes and start my work. Also, listening to music is very helpful. Some of my paintings are inspired by music. There are rhythms that produce dynamic strokes, while soft songs suggest quiet landscapes."


Q. If you could pinpoint the characteristics of people who collect your art, what would they be?

A. "They would be creative people. My art is always welcomed by artists such musicians, painters, architects, graphic designers, and writers."


Q. Do you have a degree or do you plan to attend school for art? If so, how did it help you as an artist?

A. "I have a degree in architecture in Mexico. As an architect, many of my symbols are constructed by lines, squares and other geometric shapes that many times evoke buildings. Therefore, I have called my style Geometric Abstraction. On the other hand, the technique that I have learned in art classes has made my art more suggestive and rich."


Q. Why did you choose the medium(s) that you use?

A. "I follow the rule of opposites. I experiment with mediums of adverse nature, such cold-warm, light-shadow, etc. I believe that each work demands its own technique, and they are unique."

Q. Where can we see more of your art?

A. "You can go to www.londonart.co.uk or email me ian_2in@yahoo.com"


Q. In one sentence... why do you create art?

A. "To teach."

Q. What can you tell our readers about the art scene in your area?

A. "I consider that Latin American art is in a good moment, and the world is recognizing the talent of our artists. Mexico was a center of art and culture for centuries. Furthermore, there are Mexican artists who are innovating and producing magnificent works. Artists like Felguérez are developing new ways to create art. It is our opportunity to show our artwork to the world, and be considered a talented nation."


Q. Does religion, faith, or the lack thereof play a part in your art?

A. "My artwork is predominantly in colors blue and red-violet for their spiritual meaning. "City on a Hill" was created for a friend of mine, and it is an abstraction of a bible teaching. The yellow sky means the light that cannot be hidden, and the violet gives that spiritual sense. The geometric shapes are buildings representing the city, and they are floating simulating the elevation of the hill. It was a personal interpretation of a lesson that I learned during my younger years."
I hope that you have enjoyed my interview with Salvador Flores. Feel free to critique or discuss his work.
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

No comments: