Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Art Space Talk: Mark Sheinkman

I observed the art of Mark Sheinkman while attending the preview for Art Chicago. Mr. Sheinkman was born in New York City in 1963 and received his BA from Princeton University. His work is included in many major collections.

Mark uses line to create complex multi-layered images that create a forceful grace and energy. Sheinkman’s images reverberate and create a magical, mysterious space that at the same time retain an intellectual somber quality.

Mark Sheinkman currently lives and works in New York City. His paintings and drawings are represented by Von Lintel Gallery. ( www.vonlintel.com)

Brian Sherwin: Mark, I observed your work at Art Chicago. How did the exhibit go for you?

Mark Sheinkman: It is interesting that you describe an art fair as an exhibit, and that you first saw my work at an art fair.
While poor viewing conditions and the overwhelming quantity of art are some of the obvious problems of fairs, art fairs are an increasingly important type of exhibition and part of the contemporary art scene. Even someone who has all the time and money necessary to fly around the world to look at art may not make the effort to go to Brooklyn, let alone Beijing, to see an unfamiliar artist at an unfamiliar gallery.

According to my criteria for art fairs, it went well. There was exposure, a lot of interest and sales to new collectors.



BS: I understand that you attended Princeton University. Did you study art there? What was the department like?

MS: I studied both Art History and Visual Arts (Studio Art). The Visual Arts Program at Princeton was small. Rosalind Krauss was the first head of the Visual Arts Program, and had instituted a policy that students would be provided with all necessary art supplies. Large studios , abundant art supplies, a few good teachers that usually left me alone, and being located 1 1/2 hour from New York seemed perfect to me.


BS: Mark, you've had solo and group exhibits at several outstanding venues. Based on your experience- which exhibit has made an impact on you?

MS: Seeing my work in a group show at the Metropolitan Museum in New York was pretty cool but I think almost every exhibit has had an impact on me. Seeing my work outside the studio in a new context helps me see the work in a different way and learn from it.

BS: Are you represented by a gallery? Do you have any upcoming exhibits?

MS: I have a solo exhibition opening in October in New York at my primary dealer for my paintings and drawings, Von Lintel Gallery. www.vonlintel.com. I first showed with Von Lintel Gallery when it was located in Munich, Germany. Von Lintel Gallery moved to New York several years ago when my previous New York gallery closed. My prints are represented by Pace Prints in New York. www.paceprints.com

There is also a group exhibition opening August 23 at the University of Richmond Museum in Richmond, Virginia that will travel to other museums.


BS: Mark, do you have any tips for emerging artists?

MS: Focus on making art. When you are really ready to show try to get a recommendation from other artists, critics, and collectors to an appropriate gallery. Galleries are besieged by artists walking in off the street or sending images, and in general do not respond well to "cold calls". I approached the first few galleries I worked with directly, and while I got lucky, I would not recommend that method to anyone.

BS: I understand that you are busy at this time getting ready for a show. Can you tell us more about that exhibit?

MS: I am working in the studio now on a solo show of paintings opening in October in New York at Von Lintel Gallery. All the paintings will be black and white abstract works made with oil, alkyd and graphite on linen. Since a catalog is being published, I am hoping to finish the paintings this summer.


BS: Finally, is there anything else you would like to say about your art?

MS: I prefer not to try to explain my work and let the viewer interpret it for themselves. While the paintings reference the look and space of photographic imagery, my work is not based on any particular photographs. A couple of years ago I finally got around to making a web site where you can see more examples of my work, and get information about upcoming exhibitions. www.marksheinkman.com.
I hope that you have enjoyed learning about Mark Sheinkman and his art. Feel free to leave a comment.
Take care, Stay true,
Brian Sherwin

No comments: